Monday, September 24, 2012

Vocabulary List #7


Aberration - (noun) an optical phenomenon resulting from the failure of a lens or mirror to produce a good image; a state or condition markedly different from the norm
---There was an aberration in the picture making it look as though there was a ghost.
Ad hoc- (adverb) for the special purpose
---We met ad hoc so as to discuss how we were going to fundraise.
Bane - (noun) something causes misery or death
---The idea that my grandma may pass away was a great bane to my family.
Bathos - (noun) a change from a serious subject to a disappointing one; insincere pathos
---People who use bathos should not be trusted with your feelings.
Cantankerous - (adj.) stubbornly obstructive and unwilling to cooperate
---My sister always acts cantankerous when she doesn’t get enough sleep.
Casuistry - (noun) argumentation that is excessively subtle and intended to be misleading
---My sister often uses a way of casuistry so as to get her way without telling the truth.
De facto - (noun) in fact; in reality
---It would seem that de facto I am sadly not a superhero.
Depredation - (noun) an act of plundering and pillaging; a destructive action
---My mom caused a depredation when she refused to buy me chocolate.
Empathy - (noun) understanding and entering into another's feelings
---I felt empathy towards those who have lost people in their family.
Harbinger - (noun) an indication of the approach of something or someone; (verb) foreshadow or presage
---My parents harbingered that I would be smart and here I am.
Hedonism - (noun) the pursuit of pleasure as a matter of ethical principle
---I follow hedonism almost every weekend because I don’t have time during the week.
Lackluster - (adj.) lacking luster or shine; lacking brilliance or vitality
---The car was completely lackluster and needed a serious wax.
Malcontent - (adj.) discontented as toward authority; (noun) a person who is discontented or disgusted
---I hope that people don’t see me as a malcontent and that I basically hate the world.
Mellifluous - (adj.) pleasing to the ear
---Whenever someone tells me I look pretty it’s mellifluous.
Nepotism – (noun) favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in power (as by giving them jobs)
---My dance teacher showed nepotism when choosing me for the job rather than the more qualified.
Pander - (noun) someone who procures customers for whores; (verb) arrange for sexual partners for others
---A person who has no life would become a pander so as to make money easily.
Peccadillo - (noun) a petty misdeed
---I committed a peccadillo when I ate my sister’s reeses without her permission
Piece de resistance - (noun) the most noteworthy or prized feature, aspect, event, article, etc., of a series or group; special item or attraction.
---The piece de resistance in the dance world is to be a principal ballerina.
Remand - (noun) the act of sending an accused person back into custody to await trial
---Let’s hope that the court only remands guilty people.
Syndrome - (noun) a complex of concurrent things; a pattern of symptoms indicative of some disease
---Many suffer from downs Syndrome which we hope we can avoid in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment