Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Vocabulary: Fall List #4


Apostate (n): One who has abandoned one's religious faith, a political party, one's principles, or a cause
-I don’t want to become an apostate because I don’t want to lose sight of who I am.
Effusive (adj):
excessive in emotional expression
 -Every dancer has to be effusive on stage to get their point across.
Impasse (n):
A situation that is so difficult that no progress can be made
-We were at an impasse because nobody wanted to give into their wants.
Euphoria (n):
A feeling of great happiness or well-being
-I felt extreme euphoria after my scholarship audition because I know I did well.
Lugubrious (adj):
Mournful, dismal, or gloomy
-I feel like every Monday at school starts off as lugubrious.
Bravado (n):
A disposition toward showy defiance or false expressions of courage
-People who express bravado should be frowned upon.
Consensus (n):
An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole
-We finally reached a consensus when we decided to compromise.
Dichotomy (n):
Division into two usually contradictory parts or opinions
-Our class usually becomes a dichotomy when we have sochratic seminars.
Constrict (v):
To make smaller or narrower by binding or squeezing
-The snake constricted the neck of the animal it was wrapped around.
Gothic (adj):
Of or relating to painting, sculpture, or other art forms prevalent in northern Europe from the 12th through the 15th century
-As of now most people think the color black represents gothic people.
Punctilio (n):
A fine point of etiquette
-My grandma has a punctilio and often forces it on me.
Metamorphosis (n):
A marked change in appearance, character, condition, or function
-The character, Tonks, from Harry Potter was a metamorphosis and often changed her hair color.
Raconteur (n):
One who tells stories and anecdotes with skill and wit
-Raconteurs are more impressive when they add humor to their stories.
Sine qua non (n):
An essential element or condition
-Facial expressions are sine qua non when you are an actor or dancer.
Quixotic (adj):
Capricious; impulsive
-For me, eating chocolate every day is quixotic.
Vendetta (n):
A bitter, destructive feud
-I don’t like being in vendettas with my friends.
Non sequitur (n): a statement having little or no relevance to what preceded it
-Saying you like chocolate after writing an essay about Shakespeare is non sequitur.
Mystique (n):
an aura of mystery, power, and awe that surrounds a person or thing
-I hope I have a strong mystique in order to make myself more likeable.
Quagmire (n):
Land with a soft muddy surface; a difficult or precarious situation; a predicament
-I was stuck in a quagmire because I couldn’t decide whether to go to dance or do my homework.
Parlous (adj):
Perilous; dangerous
-I rarely ever do anything parlous because I don’t like being hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment