Monday, September 17, 2012

Vocabulary List #6


Beatitude- Supreme blessedness
---I hope to sometime reach beatitude and find inner peace.
Bete noire- Someone or something which is particularly disliked or avoided
---To most children vegetables are bete noire.
Bode- Be an omen of a particular outcome; announce beforehand
---My aunt boded that I would be a dancer like her, which I did.
Dank- unpleasantly damp, musty, and typically cold
---The cabin we had to stay at was incredibly dank.
Ecumenical- general; universal
---Water being essential is ecumenical.
Fervid- Intensely enthusiastic or passionate; heated or vehement in spirit or enthusiasm
---I act fervid when I get a great idea and want to pursue it.
Fetid- Smelling extremely unpleasant or having an offensive odor
---Most dancers become fetid after each class no matter how much deodorant they put on.
Gargantuan- gigantic; enormous
---Pride Rock is gargantuan and the awesome house for lions.
Heyday- The period of a person's or thing's greatest success, popularity, vigor, strength, or success
---I think my most recent heyday was during my scholarship audition when the judges began crying because they felt the emotion I expressed.
Incubus- A cause of distress or anxiety like a nightmare
---All my homework assignments are an incubus and cause me to lose sleep.
Infrastructure- the basic, underlying framework or features of a system or organization
---Our group didn’t have an infrastructure which led to us breaking apart.
Inveigle- to acquire, win, or obtain by beguiling talk or methods
---The people that are able to inveigle what they want should be ashamed if their reasons are unfair.
Kudos- Praise and honor received for an achievement
---My dance teacher often says, “Kudos,” to those who excel at the dance she taught.
Lagniappe- Something given as a bonus or extra gift.
---I love getting any type of lagniappe when I know that I have earned it.
Prolix- Using or containing too many words; tediously lengthy
---Most of the time I speak in prolix because I have issues when trying to get to the point.
Protégé- a person under the patronage, protection, or care of someone interested in his or her career or welfare
---I have a little protégé named Charlie that will follow in my steps as a dancer.
Prototype- the original or model on which something is based or formed
---They made a prototype so as to show what the product will somewhat be like.
Sycophant-A person who acts obsequiously toward someone in order to gain advantage; a servile flatterer
---The student acted as a sycophant towards the teacher after she failed her test.
Tautology- A phrase or expression in which the same thing is said twice in different words
---The idea of tautology is good when it comes to writing because you can restate your ideas with actually being repetitious.
Truckle- to submit or yield obsequiously or tamely; a small barrel-shaped cheese
---I decided to truckle rather than make the other party upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment