Sunday, September 30, 2012

Literary Analysis #1


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

CHARACTERIZATION

1) Direct Characterization: "Her size is small." "My care was how to endure the blow which would certainly follow the insult."
Indirect Characterization: "She had dispensed me from joining the group." "I am glad you are of no relation to mine."
All these examples show that Jane Eyre is just a little girl who is not afraid to show how she feels. I find I am similar in this way which can be bad because she fights for what she wants even though sometimes it's in the wrong way which leads to the disliking of her.
2) The diction and syntax stays the same throughout the book because we see the story through the perspective of Jane Eyre. This character is one who sticks with her beliefs and it would be very odd if the author were to change some aspect, even the writing style, because that's not how Jane Eyre is.
3) I believe Jane Eyre is a static, but round character. Even at ten years old she knows who she is and that nothing anybody says or does is going to change that. It seems that she has no love in her heart, but when she speaks of Edward Rochester there is no doubt in my mind that affections for others were always inside of her and that they just needed a reason to come out.
4) I feel like I read a character and I think that's the way it should be. Books are meant to be read and hopefully not have crazed fans that are out looking for the real Jane Eyre. "My Edward and I, then, are happy: and the more so, because those we most love are happy likewise." I think this is something that everybody someday hopes to achieve. However I have never felt this nor do many people speak like this much anymore because it's so difficult to find love. This makes her a character; one I hope that can be a person, like me, so I can have a similar happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment